My muddled, addled brain often needs to have some cleaning out. The best way is to put it into words and save it to a computer so that it can file things for me that are not really necessary and possibly detrimental to my health by leaving inside to fester. So that is what this blog is for. It is my therapy to help release myself from my worries and and frets. To unravel the chaos and revel in creating thought out of words that are otherwise irrelevant. You are more than welcome to unmuddle your mind along with me.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

New Experiences on My Road to Writing

Me, Nolie and Shannon Hale

This is my first time attending a book signing. This is one of my most favorite authors, Shannon Hale. I got there about 5 minutes early and put Nolie in the stroller and started walking towards the building. I turned my head to my left and saw Shannon Hale walking beside me. I said "You're Shannon Hale right?" "Yes" she said. "You're just the person I came to see." I said with a smile on my face. I know brilliant , right? Then she held the door open for me and my stroller.
As I sat listening to her answer questions and share advice, I realized that I had heard a lot of what she was saying already. I realized I'd read all her books except the two graphic novels and her newest book Midnight in Austenland. I read her blog and follow her on facebook. I knew about the movie being made and that she'd been there for the filming.
That's when I had a personal revelation that either I am a lot bigger fan than I thought or I have become a stalker. Really, I tend to be pretty indifferent about things. I don't get majorly excitable. I have a very mellow approach to my fanaticism. I gather info and read everything I can, but I don't make a lot of noise about what I think or how I fell about things.
Apparently I really do like Shannon Hale's writing. Which I knew. She is funny and clever. She is very creative and has an interesting perspective on storytelling. She has strong female characters that I can relate to or admire. And her books have happy endings.
She put together a writing conference called Writing for Charity. She mentioned it at her book signing. I really want to go. Last night Joe sat don by me at the table as I was eating a bowl of ice cream after the kids were in bed. He had a piece of paper in front of him. "I spent some money" he said. I raised my eyebrows thinking "Oh great, I hope he didn't spend too much." He opened the paper and pushed it in front of me. I looked at it. I was a little confused. So he explained that it was for the Writing for Charity conference. Considering the way he started the conversation and gave me this gift, I wasn't sure how to respond. I was happy, but a little worried that we shouldn't be spending the money on it. It wasn't as expensive as going to LDStorymakers Conference (which I also really wanted to go to,) but he did introduce his surprise with the money issue. So I sat there thinking and told him "Thank you." He seemed to think I would jump up and down or squeal with delight or something. Truthfully, that didn't cross my mind. Let alone my emotions. I just don't react that way to things that excite or please me. Hopefully I didn't disappoint him to much with my lack of a reaction.
I am very excited to go to Writing for Charity, I am also nervous and apprehensive. I have never been to a writing conference before. So another first in the book/writing/reading world for me. Hopefully neither of these firsts will be my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment