My muddled, addled brain often needs to have some cleaning out. The best way is to put it into words and save it to a computer so that it can file things for me that are not really necessary and possibly detrimental to my health by leaving inside to fester. So that is what this blog is for. It is my therapy to help release myself from my worries and and frets. To unravel the chaos and revel in creating thought out of words that are otherwise irrelevant. You are more than welcome to unmuddle your mind along with me.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Writing with a purpose

I have been thinking that it would be a lot easier to write if I had a purpose for getting it done. I mean, yes, eventually it would be nice to get a book published. But I know realistically it could be several years and books and drafts of said books down the road before I produce anything worth having published. And there is the possibility that I will never have anything published.
So what do I do to keep myself motivated? What kind of goals can I set for myself to help me accomplish something? It's not that I don't want to write. It's more that I don't know if what I am writing is any good and that I have five little time consumers that I prefer to play my time away with, rather than squish in some writing time. Partly because it feels less effective to spend only five minutes writing. I can hardly get into the thought process of writing the next sentence before I am interrupted. I love my children and they are what I chose. However, sometimes I would like to find time for writing.
Reading on the other hand is a whole different story. Pun intended. I can always squeeze in five minutes of reading. It doesn't take a lot of thought to pick up a good book and get into it in a short time. Admittedly, it can be hard to put it down when you are totally enthralled in a good story. Despite earlier said interruptions. Writing takes creative thought processes to form the adventurous escapes that the writer envisions, reading ignites imaginative escapes into anylands with very little, to no, active thinking involved.
So those questions were only sort of rhetorical. If there are people reading this who have any ideas about how to write with self determined deadlines and/or five kids running around, let me know your thoughts or advice.

2 comments:

  1. I know it's not ideal, but you could give yourself a short period of time to write every day. Even if it's only ten minutes, use the ten minutes to get words on the screen.
    I would envision that you could be thinking about your ten minutes all day, and when the time comes have a good idea of what you need to write and use the time most effectivly.

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your ideas Jeremy. It's good to hear from you. I like the idea of trying to think about it throughout the day before I actually sit down to write. That's not always easy to do, but I know I could do it a lot more than I remember to. :)

      Delete